At approximately 9:53 a.m. today, firefighters were dispatched to a house fire at 10644 Birthstone Drive. Upon arrival, firefighters saw heavy smoke coming from the front of the home. No injuries were reported.
An elderly male was inside the home at the time of the fire and was alerted by an El Paso Police Officer who drove by and saw smoke coming from inside the home. The officer alerted the homeowner, who was asleep at the time, by knocking on all the windows. The homeowner safely evacuated due to the actions of the El Paso Police Officer.
Firefighters extinguished the fire in less than 20 minutes. A fire investigator determined the fire was accidental and started in the kitchen. The fire was caused by a microwave malfunction. The fire spread to the kitchen cabinets and into the attic space causing structural damage to the home and heavy smoke damage throughout. Damages are estimated at $50,000.00. The displaced homeowner will be staying with family while repairs are made to his home.
Approximately seven fire units and 19 firefighters responded to this incident.