Explosion at House Fire Concusses Michigan Firefighter

A Jackson (MI) Fire Department firefighter was injured while fighting a house fire Sunday when an unknown item exploded next to his head, reports MLive.com.

Blackman-Leoni Township Department of Public Safety and Jackson Fire Department firefighters responded to the house fire.

Jackson Fire Department Deputy Chief Dave Wooden said the firefighter was treated at Allegiance Hospital and released.

“Something exploded, which is part of the nature of (house fires), so it’s not uncommon, but it was right by his head,” Wooden said. “This is kind of a fluke. He was knocking down the fire, and he happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. He has been treated medically and will have some time off.”

Wooden said the firefighter should have a quick recovery, and is not expected to have any long-term problems.

Blackman-Leoni Township Department of Public Safety Deputy Director Jon Johnston said the incident happened when firefighters were in the basement of the residence. It is unknown what the combustible item was.

Read more of the story here http://bit.ly/10ieptD

No posts to display