The recent double firefighter fatality fire in Chicago, the eight civilian fatality fire in New Orleans, and two other recent building collapses in Buffalo, NY and Washington, DC resulting in firefighter injuries stress the importance of safe operations in abandoned buildings.
These events serve as an impetus for the U.S. Fire Administration to highlight and share with you materials designed to raise awareness of the risks and offer suggestions for addressing the dangers associated with vacant and abandoned buildings. Please share this information with community officials and operations personnel so we might prevent another tragedy.
- Abandoned Cold Storage Warehouse Multi-Firefighter Fatality Fire (Worcester, Massachusetts) (PDF)
- Intentionally Set Fires (PDF)
- Vacant Residential Building Fires (PDF)
- Coffee Break Training: Abandoned Buildings (PDF)
- Board-Up Procedures (PDF)