At approximately 8:35 a.m. on Sunday, firefighters were dispatched to a house fire at 27 Via Placita Road in El Paso, Texas. Upon arrival, firefighters saw heavy smoke coming from the front of the two-story home.
A family of four was inside the home at the time of the fire and three family members safely self-evacuated. Firefighters rescued a female from a second-story balcony towards the back of the home. No injuries were reported.
Firefighters extinguished the bulk of the fire within 20 minutes. The home sustained heavy smoke and fire damage throughout and the home is considered to be a total loss.
A fire investigator determined the fire was accidental and originated in an enclosed back patio. The cause of the fire was classified as improper use of an electrical appliance. A lamp with signs of frayed wiring was the cause of this fire.
Wind played a major factor in spreading the fire quickly to the interior of the home. Due to the extensive damage, firefighters are not allowed to enter the home due to a possible collapse of the second floor. Damages are estimated at $500,000.00. The displaced family of four has an alternate place to stay.
Approximately 11 units and 27 firefighters responded to this incident.
For articles on residential firefighting, consider Drill Of The Week: Company Level Drill – Ladder Rescue, Drill of the Week: Ladder Rescue, and RESCUE PROFILES FOR RESIDENTIAL OCCUPANCIES.