Gas Leak and Fire Injures Four in New Jersey

A fire destroyed a home in East Orange (NJ), injured two occupants and two firefighters, and forced dozens of residents to evacuate, reports The Newark Star-Ledger.

The fire started in the basement of the three-story house. Before firefighters realized the fire was believed to be fed by natural gas, they tried to extinguish it from the inside.

One firefighter ran out of oxygen and was forced to jump from a first-floor window, fracturing his right ankle, Weiss said. Another firefighter was taken to University

Hospital in Newark, where he was treated for smoke inhalation and released.

When police outside smelled natural gas, firefighters began checking nearby residences and found high levels of the combustible gas inside five homes.

“There is the possibility you are fighting the fire and the house across the street blows up because of the gas,” Deputy Fire Chief Christopher Weiss.

Residents from eight homes and three four-story apartment buildings between North Munn and North Arlington avenues were evacuated throughout the day.

Read more of the story here http://bit.ly/15jOS2w

No posts to display