A Brazos County (TX) fire station was evacuated yesterday because of a hazmat scare.
A Department of State Health Services inspector brought a hazardous substance to Station 2 in the city of College Station, forcing firefighters to leave the structure, according to a WTAW report (http://bit.ly/12bC6kp).
The chemical, which is sold under the trade name of Fumitoxin, was taken from a local specialty grocery store. A commercial pesticide, its active ingredient, aluminum phosphide, is very reactive when exposed to air and especially water.
Fire department personnel placed the chemical in a container, covered it with an absorbent material, and then sealed the container, making it safe for transport by health agency officials.
Read additional details on this episode at http://bit.ly/12bC6kp.
This incident simply underscores the unpredictable nature of incidents involving hazardous materials–and where these incidents may unfold. For more on fire response to hazmat incidents, consider Hazmat Survival Tips : Hazardous Materials Incident Size-Up, Hazmat Survival Tips : 10 Common Errors Committed During Incidents, and Hazmat Survival Tips : Making Informed and Defensible Decisions.