A firefighter is recovering from injuries he sustained while trying to check on a resident in an exposure building during a fire in Champaign, Illinois.
The News-Gazette reports (http://bit.ly/I4GUEB) that during a fire at a commercial fire early Saturday, Lieutenant Jeff Lattz, 40, went into a house to make sure the resident of an apartment and his fellow firefighters were out.
Champaign Fire Chief Doug Forsman said fire in a concealed space “emerged all at once,” burning Lattz’s face and ears. Lattz also inhaled superheated gases, according to the report.
Lattz was taken to the burn unit of Memorial Medical Center in Springfield, where he was initially listed in serious condition.
For more on this story, go to http://bit.ly/I4GUEB.
For more on the dangers of fire in concealed spaces, consider Fighting Fires in Concealed Spaces and Construction Concerns: Supervisors and Concealed Spaces.
For more on dynamic fire events, consider Rapid Fire Spread at Private Dwelling Fires, Flashover Survival, and How We Got Burned : Lessons Learned from a Wind-Driven Dwelling Fire.