Indiana Firefighter Hospitalized After House Fire

An Indianapolis firefighter is in a medically induced coma after sustaining injuries while battling a house fire near downtown, reports RTV 6.

Private Chris McGrone, 38, was taken to IU Methodist Hospital with what officials believed to be slight injuries.

But once McGrone was examined by doctors, he was listed in critical condition with injuries related to smoke inhalation.

“The effects of smoke inhalation can be tricky to assess as they react differently in each person,” said IFD spokeswoman Rita Burris, in a news release. “Smoke in a super-heated environment contains toxic gases and particulate matter that can produce symptoms hours and/or days later and should always be monitored by a physician.”

Indianapolis Fire Department Lt. Larry Tracy said the flames were so intense, firefighters had to use a defensive attack to douse the flames.

“When firefighters got here, (the fire) was fully involved and flames were shooting through the roof. The fire advanced very quickly before the firefighters got to the scene,” Tracy said.

Officials said McGrone inhaled some of the fire’s thick, black smoke after part of his face mask fell off.

“It is a bad situation when that  fresh air is taken away from a firefighter and all they have left are those super heated gases and that’s what happened in this situation,” IFD Chief Ken Bacon said.

Read more of the story here http://bit.ly/14j7q14

No posts to display