Kansas Firefighters Save 105-Year-Old Woman

Firefighters passed a 105-year-old woman through a window to safety after her Tonganoxie house caught fire early Tuesday, reports The Kansas City Star.

The woman, who was alert, was taken to a hospital where she was treated for minor injuries.

The fire was reported about 4:45 a.m. in the 100 block of East Sixth Street. Dispatchers were told someone might be trapped inside, said Tonganoxie Fire Chief David Bennett. While fire crews were on their way, they got word that someone definitely was trapped inside.

The woman’s nephew, who lives next door, told the first firefighters that he could not reach his aunt and said she might be in one of the bedrooms, Bennett said. Smoke and the alarm from smoke detectors had alerted the nephew.

Firefighters battled heavy smoke and fire until they found her in a bathroom about two minutes after they arrived. They brought her to another room where they broke out a window and passed her to other firefighters outside, Bennett said.

Read more of the story here http://bit.ly/1sKSo1J

No posts to display