Las Vegas Man Burned in Oxygen Tank Explosion

A man was trying to remove a valve from an oxygen tank this morning when the tank exploded, seriously burning him, reports Las Vegas Sun.

He suffered second- and third-degree burns over about 40 percent of his body after trying to remove the brass fitting from the bottle with a hammer, fire department spokesman Tim Szymanski said.

The blast was reported about 10:30 a.m. at a downtown electronics shop at 1702 Western Ave., near West Wyoming Avenue and Interstate 15, officials said.

Fire officials believe a spark from the hammer caused the explosion, turning the bottle into a rocket-like projectile, Szymanski said. The man was trying to remove the brass valve so the aluminum bottle could be recycled, Szymanski said.

The blast caused about $10,000 damage, Szymanski said. The shop’s roof was damaged, as were windows and doors, he said.

Read more of the story here http://bit.ly/1tdyDCk

No posts to display