Man Dies in PA House Fire

A 29-year-old man was killed early Monday in a Levittown (PA) house fire from which his elderly grandfather was rescued.

The victim, who was mentally challenged, was found in the bathtub in the second-floor bathroom, a fire official told reporters from philly.com (http://bit.ly/HhEChm). The stairs to the second floor of the home were not there when firefighters arrived at the scene.

The victim’s grandfather, 87, was in critical condition Monday at an area hospital. A neighbor removed the elderly man from the home and brought him to safety. The news report indicates the man was black from firesmoke.

The neighbors tried to make entry to rescue the victim, but they could not. First-arriving firefighters found flames shooting out of every window and door. Once inside, they used a ladder to ascend to the second floor to locate the victim.

The fire started in overloaded electrical outlets in a first-floor television and computer room, according to the local fire chief.

No posts to display