Man Sparks Fire at Michigan Gas Station by Setting Spider on Fire

A man with an apparent case of arachnophobia caused a fire at a suburban Detroit gas station by putting a lighter to what he says was a spider near his fuel door, reports USA Today.

After he pulled up, “That’s when he pulled the lighter out of his pocket and lit it and started the fire,” station clerk Susan Adams told local media on Saturday.

The man, who was not identified, escaped injury and his vehicle suffered little damage, but the gas pump was destroyed. Adams shut off the pump from indoors and called the fire department.

The motorist can be heard on surveillance video at the Center Line station asking: “Is that a spider in there?” The video then shows flames erupting along the car’s side, the pump and the pavement.

“He grabbed the fire extinguisher, because the lady had me on hold, so he grabbed the fire extinguisher and put it out,” Adams told WWJ, a local radio station.

Read more of the story here http://usat.ly/1R9no7s

No posts to display