Mom, Six Kids Escape North Carolina Fire

On February 16, 2015, Rocky Mount (NC) firefighters were preparing for a bad ice and snow storm along with freezing temperatures.  At 4:30 p.m., a 911 call was received for a dwelling fire in the 700 Block of Marlee Drive. Engine Co. 5 was the first-due company to arrive  just three minutes after being dispatched and reported they had a working fire in a one-story brick dwelling with heavy fire showing and flames through the roof.

SEE MORE PHOTOS FROM THIS FIRE >>

Crews reported that they were going into service with 1 3/4-attack lines. 

Engine Co. 1 was now arriving and they also placed an 1 3/4-inch line in service. Two additional engine companies and a ladder company along with Rescue 1 and Battalion 1, as well as an EMS unit. Firefighters found a mother and her six children waiting for them on the front lawn and told the firefighters that she had gotten all of the children–who ranged in age from five days old to 11 years old–out of the burning home.

She said that she was unable to exit the home through any of the doors due to the heavy fire condition but that they were able to exit from a bedroom window. She reported that no one was injured.

According to Battalion Chief Tim Turner, it took fire fighters about 20 minutes to extinguish the fire and another 20 minutes to have the fire completely under control. The house suffered extensive fire and smoke damage throughout the structure 

The American Red Cross responded to assist the family. Upon investigation by the fire marshal’s office, it was ruled an accidental  fire that was caused by a candle that was knocked over in the living room.

See more photos from this incident HERE.

MORE BOB BARTOSZ

No posts to display