North Carolina Firefighter Rescues Toddler from House Fire

A team Havelock (NC) first responders arrived at the scene of a house fire in which a toddler was still inside.

Havelock firefighter Charles Winter described how he climbed through a window to save the 2-year-old from the burning home.

“So, I went in; I couldn’t find the baby [because] it was pitch black. I couldn’t see anything,” said Winter. “After looking for a couple minutes, they said they could hear crying from another bedroom. So I had to leave that bedroom out the window and then go in another window in order to try and find him. When I was in that room is when I actually found him. He was in the corner.”

Winter said he then grabbed the 2-year-old boy and passed the child out of the window to other first responders.

“He had a lot of smoke around his face and he had soot all over his body, but nothing burned that I could see,” Winter said of the toddler.

But during the rescue, two fingers on Winter’s right hand suffered minor burns. Winter said he didn’t have his glove on properly because of his rush to get inside the burning home.

The two-year-old is still at Vidant Medical Center, listed in good condition. According to family, the boy is expected to be released soon.

“I want to thank that fireman, whoever he is. I just gave him a big hug. He’s a hero. All of these guys are heroes,” said Richard Matson, the boy’s grandfather.

Read more of the story here http://bit.ly/XU7yEm

No posts to display