By Dan Phillips
Tulsa (OK) – A firefighter is recovering and residents are left homeless after a fire in north Tulsa early Friday.
The fire broke out at an apartment building near north Birmingham Place and Independence Street.
Tulsa Fire Department District 4 Chief Bennie Herring said a mattress caught fire in an upstairs unit. A resident admitted that a cigarette got away from them while in bed smoking. The flames quickly spread and got into the unit’s floorboards and walls.
Some tenants of the fire crawled to the roof and balconies to escape the smoke. They were brought down without injury.
Read more HERE