One Hurt in Chicago High-Rise Fire

A man was hospitalized after a small fire in a high-rise building on North Michigan Avenue this morning, reports the Chicago Tribune.

The fire broke out shortly before 10 a.m. in a 15th floor apartment in a 33-story building in the 500 block of North Michigan Avenue, according to fire officials.

“Sounded like they got it knocked (down) right away,” said one firefighter standing on the Michigan Avenue sidewalk.

The fire was confined to one apartment on the 15th floor. A man suffered smoke inhalation and was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in fair to serious condition, according to Fire Department spokesman Larry Langford.

“He was talking when they were looking at him in the ambulance,” Langford said.

The man was expected to be treated and released. 

Firefighters on the scene said an overheated electrical appliance, possibly a humidifier, touched off the fire.

Read more of the story here

No posts to display