OR Tofu Explosion Mystery Solved

An explosion that occurred while a woman was cooking tofu in her Portland (OR) apartment Sunday night was apparently caused by the sudden dousing of a grease fire with water.

A report from The Oregonian (http://bit.ly/vWTemJ) says fire department officials and the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives determined the cause of the explosion after consultation with other West Coast investigators.

A fire official told reporters the rease in a pan used to cook the tofu overheated and caught fire. When the woman put the fiery pan in the sink to douse it, the oil sudden flared up and a massive amount of steam was generated. The ensuing explosion caused about $15,000 in damage and activated the apartment’s sprinkler.

Read more here: http://bit.ly/vWTemJ

No posts to display