Overloaded Extenstion Cord the Cause of NJ Fire

From NorthJersey.com:

BY Howard Prosnitz

Teaneck (NJ) – On March 2 at approximately 4:00 p.m., Teaneck Fire Engine 2 responded to a report of a smoke and fire in an apartment at 715 Linden Avenue.

The fire was reported by a resident living above the apartment who smelled smoke. When firefighters arrived on scene, occupants were seen leaving the building, but they heard no smoke alarms. They later determined that the apartment had nonfunctioning smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.

The fire began in a bedroom and was extinguished in about 15 minutes. The apartment was vacant at the time, according to a fire department report.

Although only one unit was involved, the entire complex was evacuated. Battalion Chief Joseph Berchtold said that because of cold, windy conditions, residents were allowed into the basement of the complex, which was determined to be safe, where they waited for about 90 minutes before returning to their apartments.

It was determined that the cause of the fire was an overloaded electrical extension cord.

Read more HERE

No posts to display