Small Grass Fire Sparks in Transient Camp Near Old Longmont (CO) Sugar Factory

Kelsey Hammon

Daily Times-Call, Longmont, Colo.


Oct. 22—Investigators have determined that a small grass fire that was extinguished early Friday near the sugar factory, just outside of Longmont, sparked from a portable heater in a transient camp.

Longmont police and fire departments were dispatched to the fire around 1 a.m. to the area of 395 E. Rogers Road in unincorporated Boulder County, according to a Boulder County Sheriff’s Office news release.

The release said that when firefighters arrived, they found a grassy area approximately 20 feet by 20 feet on fire. Firefighters quickly went to work putting out the flames. The fire was extinguished without injury to anyone or damage to any structures, according to the release.

The Boulder County Sheriff’s Office said an immediate investigation determined the fire started in a transient camp. According to the release, it is believed that a portable heater caught fire and burned all the camping equipment in the 20 foot x 20 foot clearing. The occupant or occupants of the camp left the scene prior to first responders and remain unidentified.

The Longmont Police Department, Longmont Fire Department and the Boulder County Sheriff’s Office responded to the fire.


(c)2021 the Daily Times-Call (Longmont, Colo.)

Visit the Daily Times-Call (Longmont, Colo.) at

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

No posts to display