Space Heater Apparently Sparked Fatal Chicago Fire

A two-month-old girl was killed in a fire Wednesday in Chicago, Illinois. The fire was apparently started by a space heater placed too closely to a bed.

The Chicago Tribune reports (http://trib.in/P2N71e) that firefighters attempted to rescue the infant but were beaten back by intense heat and flames.

Firefighters found the victim in a back bedroom, according to Fire Department spokeswoman Meg Ahlheim. There were smoke detectors inside the first- and second-floor apartments but they were not working.

The fire also destroyed a neighboring home. A Good Samaritan also attempted to rescue the child, but in vain.

Read more at http://trib.in/P2N71e.

For training materials on dealing with the trauma of losing a child at an incident, consider Free Firefighter Training: When A Child Dies on A Call.

No posts to display