The Federal Transit Administration said Wednesday that it plans to conduct a review of Metro’s safety programs for subway and bus operations after a fatal incident last month in which scores of train passengers were caught in a smoke-filled tunnel, reports The Washington Post.
The review is set to begin March 2 and end in late May, possibly with recommendations for improving the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority’s systems for making sure that trains and buses run safely, FTA spokesman Nathan Robinson said.
“This is really to see what the safety culture at WMATA is like,” Robinson said. After the Jan. 12 smoke incident near the L’Enfant Plaza station, which left one rider dead, he said, “we really want to get into the details with WMATA and see how they’re implementing their safety management system and see if we can help them make changes.”
The D.C. Council’s first public hearing on the fatal incident is scheduled for Thursday.
In another development Wednesday, D.C. officials said firefighters have recorded 10 radio failures inside Metro stations in the three weeks since the Jan. 12 incident. During the Jan. 12 crisis, firefighters in the L’Enfant Plaza station encountered radio problems and could not communicate effectively with commanders above ground.
Read more of the story here http://wapo.st/1EGzxgI