Two young sisters were killed in a fire Sunday at their two-story town house in Columbus, Ohio.
By the time Columbus (OH) firefighters arrived at the complex, flames were too intense for them to make entry, according to a report from the Columbus Dispatch (http://bit.ly/sMCxTz). The girls’ mother was home with the girls when the fire started about 5 a.m., but was reportedly unable to rescue the children.
The woman told firefighters that the fire allegedly began when she started cooking something for the girls but then dozed back asleep, leaving the food on the stove. She was treated for smoke inhalation at a nearby medical center
Extra firefighterss were called to contain the fire. The two adjoining town houses, which had been evacuated, were burned and uninhabitable. Flames shot as high as 40 feet into the air, extending from the fire building to a tree near the structure.