The Register-Guard (http://bit.ly/1PhqQMx) reports that firefighters on Thursday morning were continuing to put out hot spots and pockets of fire that were trapped by the collapsed roof. The building was still smoldering at noon.
The fire was reported at 3:55 p.m. Wednesday when a single employee arrived to open the bowling alley and noticed a glow in the back wall coming from behind the bowling pins. Meigs said Thursday that the fire spread too quickly within the attic to save the structure. After about 15 minutes inside the building with low to no visibility, firefighters withdrew to battle the blaze from the outside for fear of a collapse, given the building’s barrel roof design.
At 4:38 p.m., the roof did collapse and the building was quickly engulfed in flames. The roof design, along with the heavily wood-laden structure and the lacquers and other flammable materials generally stored inside bowling alleys, made for a dangerous environment, officials said. Popping sounds were reported when fire crews first arrived.