Young Girl Dies in Walla Walla (WA) House Fire

A 3-year-old girl died after a space heater caught blankets on fire in a Walla Walla house where a family was sleeping, reports tri-cityherald.com.

The fire started Wednesday night at 439 Easy Street in a bedroom where the girl and her younger brother were sleeping, said Deputy Chief Brad Morris. The 2-year-old boy was taken to Sacred Heart Medical Center in Spokane.

There were at least five people, including the two children and an infant, in the house when the fire started, Morris said. The infant was apparently sleeping in a bedroom with the parents of the children.

The 911 dispatch center got a call about 11:20 p.m. from a person believed to be a resident at the house, Morris said. The person could only give limited information due to the fire.

Dispatchers were able to trace the call to the Easy Street house and when firefighters arrived no one was home, Morris said. Firefighters found light smoke in the house but no flames.

It appears the family went to Providence St. Mary Medical Center in Walla Walla before firefighters arrived.

Fire investigators were able to determine the mother woke up and discovered smoke coming from her childrens’ bedroom, Morris said. There were some blankets close to the space heater, which caught fire and then smoldered.

Fire officials reported the smoke detector outside of the childrens’ bedroom was not working.

Read more of the story here http://bit.ly/1sanzaw

Previous articleFirst Responders get Mobile App for Bio Detection
Next articleFire at President’s House at Centenary College (NJ)

No posts to display