A Foolish Man.
Neglect of common fire dangers is nothing to boast of: but, if a property owner feels that he has nothing to fear from their presence, why should his corns ache when he is reminded of them by an inspector? Open stairways, combustible inclosures for elevators, lack of protection of floors about heating plant, defective electric wiring and neglect of cleanliness were noted in a building in Iowa by an insurance inspector. When he invited the owner’s attention to these matters, he got a frosty reception, colored by the old remark that, if he “had met the inspector before the tour of the building was begun,” etc. Are not such cases of apathy proper subjects for the attention of a fire marshal’s office, or other proper municipal authority, in the interest of pub lie safety?—The Insurance Press.