A NEW LONDON FIRE STATION.
Great attention is paid in the larger cities and towns in the British islands to the housing of the firemen, the result being the erection of very handsome and in every way up-to-date buildings for that purpose. Their Internal fittings are all that could be desired, and in every respect these fire stations will more than compare favorably with those in American cities. Oue reason for this, of course, may be, that accommodation is provided in these buildings for married Uremeu and their families—an incidental which entails upon the municipal authorities the obligation of providing larger structures than are called for in our cities, where all the firemen board out, and the married men have their own homes.
In London the men of the Metropolitan fire brigade are singularly fortunate in ihelr surroundings, and whenever an old fire station has to be pulled down or another udded to those already provided, cure is taken that tbe new building shall serve the double purpose of use and ornument. The latest of these London lire stations to be built (an illustration of which accompanies this article) is that at Shepherd’s Bush, on the western side of the metropolis, it is of red brick and occupies a corner site on the Uxbridge road—a site which was obtained only after much opposition from the owner, and at a cost of $14,810. The building itself, which was formally opened on February 23,1901, was erected by the works department of the London county council, and cost $03,000. On the ground floor of the station are engineroom, with standing space for steamer, horsed-escupe, and hose cart; stables for four horses, watchroom and office, recreation room, etc.
The upper floors provide accommodation for the station officer, nine married firemen, with their families, and two coachmen. In the basement are washhouses, with heating chamber, workshop, coal store, and other conveniences.