A Sprinkler System Might Have Saved It
A total loss was the result of the fire that recently started from unknown cause in the basement of the Lutheran Ladies’ Seminary in Red Wing, Minn., some time before 2.30 A. M., when it was discovered. For some reason, the alarm was not given until 3.27 A. M. and the building, which was of veneered brick, 200×200 feet, was nearly burned down when the department arrived under command of F. L. Rethschlag. The need of a sprinkler equipment was emphasized in this fire, as the 3 gallon chemical extinguishers that were in the seminary were of no avail when the fire was discovered. There were 30 men at the fire, who used one booster pump, one 300 gallon gasoline engine, two motor combinations,—a Seagrave and a Reo—and a horse drawn ladder wagon. Four engine streams were thrown and 1,950 feet of hose were laid. The fire burned itself out in 8 hours with total loss on the building, value at $250,000. and damage of $37,000 to the contents, valued at $50,000.