A Well Fought Fire at Galt

A Well Fought Fire at Galt

A disastrous conflagration—the second within a comparatively short time was narrowly averted at Halt, Out., when the Eraser block on Dickson street was completely gutted by an early morning fire It started somewhere about 3 o’clock a. m., in the store of the Eraser Hardware Company, but was not discovered until 3:30, by which time the flames had made considerable headway as when the firemen arrived the whole of the store was one blaze, to which a strong southeast wind afforded considerable help. The fire brigade had hardly begun operations before there was an explosion of gunpowder, which blew out the whole front of the block. After that it was seen that nothing could save the building, on which Chief Keyes and his men devoted all their energies to prevent the spread of the flames which was threatened from the rear. Just there stood a storage house in which was kept a large quantity of oils, gasoline and the like. There seemed every probability of this catching fire, in which case the whole block which is in a most congested section of the city, would have gone up and probably set fire to a large amount of adjoining property. The good work of the firemen, however, prevented the flames from more than scorching the building. The worst sufferers from the fire were the Eraser Hardware Company, and W. Peane, manufacturers of sweaters, the only two occupants of the burned block. The Galt clubhouse across the street was badly scorched and the contents of a furniture store were somewhat damaged by smoke and water. A. C. Fraser, owner of the block, lost $60,000 on building and stock with about $15,000 insurance and W. Peane, on the second floor, about $8,000, insured for $5,000.

No posts to display