Addition Modernizes Fire Station

Addition Modernizes Fire Station

BEFORE . . .

The original station was constructed in 1930 and could no longer accommodate the required apparatus

AFTER . . .

Neat modern multi-level appearance of Sylvania Township fire station resulting from new addition. The increased floor space provided permits seven pieces of apparatus to be housed without crowdingFloor plan of the present headquarters station. The ample size permits quick and easy access to all apparatus

Township fire department increases floor space to accommodate apparatus

THE SYLVANIA, OHIO, Fire Department recently dedicated a new addition to Fire Station No. 1 located on Monroe Street. The original building was constructed in 1930 and in recent years had become very crowded because of the limited apparatus floor space. The structure was considered sound, and in the interest of economy, it was decided to enlarge it by expansion rather than construct a completely new station.

The walls of the addition are cement block with a matched brick facing on the ground exterior. Architect Nelson E. Thai accented the brick with stone set around the doorway to the chief’s office, a stone landscaping box and by an aluminum facia on the entrance roof over the aluminum door to the office.

The floor is 6-inch reinforced concrete slab resting on sand fill. A vis-queen sheet between the sand and the earth protects against ground moisture. Floor drains are included in each apparatus bay.

The original station wall separating the two structures was removed and the load above is now supported by 5-inch pipe columns set on solid masonry or underpinnings of the original building footings.

The addition provides a new office for Chief Elmer Cline and District Chief Richard Campbell, a more roomy dispatchers’ office and a lunchroom and restroom. The overhead apparatus doors were chosen to match those of the original building and a side entrance was added to facilitate egress and ingress.

The township fire department consists of 68 volunteer firemen, two paid maintenance men, four paid dispatchers and a paid chief. It operates three pumpers, three emergency squads, two pumpertankers, two utility units and the chief’s car. The apparatus is housed in two stations located within the village.

The department is very active in township civic affairs. During Fire Prevention Week it sponsors a poster contest and an essay competition for the schoolchildren; conducts first-aid training classes for the public; gives firemanship merit badge training to local boy scouts and acts as the central contact point in the blood donors program. Planned for the near future is a junior fire fighting group to include youths between the ages of 18 and 21. The young men would supplement the local department and would achieve full department membership upon their 21st birthday.

No posts to display