Adoption of Fire Prevention Ordinance Urged
Charles W. Schoelzel, Chairman of the Fire Prevention Association of the National Association of Insurance Agents, and W. E. Mallalieu, General Manager of the National Hoard of Fire Underwriters, recently launched a nation-wide program seeking to strengthen national defense through wide adoption of a comprehensive fire prevention ordinance.
Mr. Mallalieu pointed out that the National Hoard of Fire Underwriters, at its annual meeting in May, approved a plan to seek adoption and enforcement of its Suggested Fire Prevention Ordinance in cities throughout the country.This ordinance would give adequate authority to fire departments to make inspections and require suitable safeguards in the storage and handling of volatile and flammable materials. It would provide for the creation of a bureau of fire prevention in the local fire departments and would give the bureau authority to enforce all laws and ordinances covering:
- The prevention of fires.
- The storage and use of explosives and flarnmables.
- The installation and maintenance of automatic and other private fire alarm systems and fire extinguishing equipment.
- The maintenance and regulation of fire escapes.
- The means and adequacy of exit, in ease of fire, from factories, schools, hotels, lodging houses, asylums, hospitals, churches, halls, theatres, ampitheatres and all other places in which numbers of persons work, live or congregate.
- The investigation of the cause, origin and circumstances of fires.