AN OLD ENGINE FOR NEW SERVICE.

AN OLD ENGINE FOR NEW SERVICE.

At a recent meeting of the board of fire commissioners of Newark, N. J., Chief Kiersted was authorised to sell one of the old steam fire engines to Addison A. Righter, of London, England. The price paid for the engine was $500. Mr. Righter is connected with the great Corruganza Manufacturing Company, Limited, makers of rolling and stamping machinery for paper and metal, Garret Works, Sumers Town, London, S. W., England. The engine is now being repainted and wheels repaired, and when finished will be boxed and shipped across the water, where it will be used for the protection of the works.

The engine is in good order and when repaired will be capable of excellent service for some years. It was built in 1873 by R. J. Gould, New Jersey Railroad avenue, Newark, and was purchased by the city for the Newark fire department in the same year. It is a second-size, double Gould engine, throws two streams and has been in constant use and in reserve in Newark for nearly thirty years. Some few years ago the old boiler was replaced with a modern La France boiler. When first put in service it was assigned to engine company No. 9 at the corner of Summer avenue and Kearney street and was known by the name of “Warren” in the days when every company had a name. The old brass nameplate is still on the front under the driver’s seat. On the side of the boiler is the original engraved plate showing that at the time it was purchased Frederick W. Ricord was mayor and Ellis R. Carhuff was chief engineer of the fire department. The old engine bas done splendid service and it will not be found wanting when called upon in its new field of duty.

No posts to display