Annual Fire Report of Taunton
Chief Fred A. Leonard, of Taunton, Mass., states in his report for the year ending November 30, 1915, that the total calls received were 392, as follows: From signal boxes (fire alarm telegraph), 79; second alarms (fire alarm telegraph), 1; third alarms (fire alarm telegraph), 2; general alarms (fire alarm telegraph), 1; special calls (fire alarm telegraph), 7; automatic, 1; telephone calls, 261; still alarms, 15; exposure losses, 5; fires reported (department not called), 13. The value of property, and insurance involved, with damage and insurance paid on buildings and contents is: Value of property, $895,286.26; amount of insurance, $719,935.77; amount of damage, $52,843.95; insurance paid, $47,225.95; damage over insurance paid, $5,618.00. The manual force consists of six officers and twenty-six men permanently employed, with a call force of forty-nine officers and men, and thirty-six volunteers. The force and salaries of the department for 1915 were as follows: One chief engineer, $1,650; 1 deputy chief, $1,300; 1 assistant engineer (at call), $250; 3 captains (permanent), each, $1,075; 2 captains (at call), each, $175; 1 lieutenant (permanent), $1,025; 4 lieutenants (at call), each, $163; 1 engineer (permanent), $1,050; 1 engineer (a call), $163; 1 assistant engineer (at call), $150; 10 hosemen (permanent), each, $988; 2 hosemen (permanent), each, $884; 2 hosemen (acting permanent), each, $884; 19 hosemen (at call), each, $150; 4 hosemen (at call), each, $100; 1 ladderman (permanent), $884; 17 laddermen (at call), each, $150; 8 drivers (permanent), each, $988.88; 2 drivers (permanent), each, $884; 3 stewards, each, $25; 3 captains, volunteers; 3 lieutenants, volunteers; 27 hosemen, volunteers. The apparatus in service consists of One Amoskeag engine, second size; one Amoskeag engine, third size; three motor combination chemical and hose wagons; one double 35-gallon combination chemical and hose wagon; one 30-gallon combination chemical and hose wagon; three plain hose wagons; one 65-foot Hayes aerial truck, with portable water tower; one single 4-gallon combination chemical and ladder truck; one city service ladder truck; one chief’s automobile; three hand hose reels, (one of these is at the City Home), and forty 3-gallon hand extinguishers. Apparatus in reserve is: One Amoskeag engine, (out of condition); one city service ladder truck, and two hose pungs. There arc now nineteen horses owned by this department, one old horse was killed this year on account of old age, and two arc out for their keeping. Many of our horses are too old for the service. There arc now 15,100 feet of 2!4-inch cotton rubber-lined and 1,200 feet of ¾-inch rubber chemical hose; our hose is in very good condition. There are 1,027 post hydrants (twenty-seven having been added this year). The street reservoirs are located as follows: City Square, 50,000 gallons; Wales Street, 50,000 gallons; Winthrop and Cohannet Streets, 40,000 gallons; Kilton Street, 40,000 gallons; Somerset Avenue and White Street, 40,000; gallons; Purchase and Wilbur Streets, 40,000; Bay and Britannia Streets, 40,000, and Main near Summer Street (not good), 10,000. There are nine buildings under the control of this department, and are in very fair condition. Hose 5 moved into its new home on June 7th, (the new Oak Street Station). The old Olney Street Station is used as a storehouse, for old apparatus, on the first floor, the second floor is used by the building deparment. The appropriation for current expenses for the year ending November 30, 1915, was $51,000. Expenditures were: Salaries and pay-rolls, $39,800.83, and general expenses, $11,197.91. Chief Leonard renews recommendations as follows: First—That a fire proof building be erected and the fire alarm apparatus be located therein. Second—I am still of the ooinion that we should have a motor car fitted up for forest fires, and to be used to teach our men to handle motor apparatus. Third—The department will require at least two more permanent men to carry out the one day off in every five allowed the permanent men.