Annual Parade and Review of The Cleveland Fire Department
The annual parade and review of the Cleveland fire department took place on June 29. the parade starting at 2:30 p. m., with Chief George A. Wallace as commandant and First Assistant Chief James E. Granger as adjutant. In the line of march were sixteen engine companies, three ladder companies, and two hose companies. This parade marked the passing of the horse-drawn apparatus, the department being entirely motorized. It was announced that at the next annual parade the department would present the department medal of honor to those members who have during the year 1918 performed the most conspicuous deeds of bravery involving serious risk of life. These medals will be presented by the mayor to the men designated by the chief, and a portrait of the recipient, together with a description of the act that won him the medal, will be printed in the official program. The programs for the parade, neatly printed, were sold as souvenirs at 25 cents apiece, the proceeds being applied to the pension funds. The fire department of Cleveland consists of two assistant and nine battalion chiefs, a fire prevention bureau, 35 engine companies, 13 ladder companies, six hose companies, and a telegraph department.