Another Large Cotton Compress Fire

Another Large Cotton Compress Fire

An employee’s carelessness while smoking was the cause of a $765,000 fire in Sapulpa, Okla., when the Sapulpa Cotton Compress Company lost nearly its entire stock of cotton. The building was one story in height and occupied a block in northwest of the city. It was 15 years old and built of wood with corrugated iron. It had no fire protection. The fire started at 1.15 p. m. in the storage shed and, fanned by a high wind, it spread so rapidly over the building and yard that employees working in the compress room barely had time to get out of the building. An alarm was immediately turned in from a box half a block distant and although Chief Chess Osborn arrived in record time, nearly the entire structure and storage yard were already involved. Fourteen men were engaged and employed one Webb triple combination, one American-La France triple and one double combination of the same make. Four 4-inch hydrants were available, 300 feet apart, two of them single and two double. Six streams were thrown at a time and 3,200 feet of cotton rubber-lined hose were laid. There was a 90 pound pressure from direct pumping system, with 6and 8-inch mains. Good streams were thrown from 1 1/4 and 1 1/8 nozzles and the fire was finally stopped in the storage yard although Chief Osborn did not think it safe to give the “all out” signal for nearly 24 hours. The buildings, valued at $15,000, were a total loss and the loss on the contents, worth $900,000, amounted to $750,000.

No posts to display