Apparatus Built by Rome, Ga., Department
The truck illustrated herewith was built on a 1920 model Reo speed wagon by H. L. Taylor, chief of the fire department of Rome, Ga., assisted by his mechanic in the department. The truck is equipped with a thirty-five-gallon Pyrene chemical tank, with 200 feet of one-inch chemical hose. The hose body will carry 1,000 feet of 2 1/2-inch hose. The other equipment of the truck is one 20-foot extension ladder, one 12-foot roof ladder, two 3-gallon hand extinguishers, two fire department axes, two lanterns and one crowbar. It is equipped with an 8 1/2-inch siren whistle, which operates through the fly-wheel and can be heard for four or five miles. The apparatus, according to Chief Taylor, has a speed of from thirty-five to forty-five miles an hour, and has been placed in service in No. 4 station. Chief Taylor claims that if he had bought this outfit outright it would have cost the department approximately $4,000. He built it for $1,965, a saving of about $2,000. The men shown on the apparatus in the illustration are, from left to right, Samuel S. King, city manager; E. E. Lindsey, fire commissioner; J. M. White; S. L. Stewart and M. S. Stewart, firemen; Chief H. L. Taylor; Machinist J. C. Ellison. Seated: J. H. Tate, city electrician; W. J. Smith, captain, and J. C. Shaw, fireman. Chief Taylor has been a member of the department since November 10, 1910, and was appointed chief on March 10, 1921.