By John M. Malecky
The Monroeville (PA) Fire Department designed this E-ONE aerial ladder truck in tractor-drawn form because it has more maneuverability, particularly in narrow residential streets, explains Chief Ron Harvey. It also has more compartmentation.
- Cyclone II tractor chassis with 150-inch wheelbase and five-seat cab;
- DETROIT Series 60 515-hp diesel engine with ALLISON 4000 EVS automatic transmission;
- 58-foot, nine-inch overall length;
- 100-foot aerial ladder with 500-pound tip load and 18-foot outrigger spread;
- pinnable waterway at 75- and 100-foot extensions and AKRON StreamMaster ladderpipe;
- 231 feet of ground laders;
- Stokes litter and assorted rescue rope with hardware the Stokes harness;
- PHILLIPS AED;
- MSA Evolution 5000 thermal imaging camera; and
- light and power with HARRISON 15-kw hydraulic generator, eight ROM floodlights (two each on tractor and at aerial tip and four on trailer), two FEDERAL scene lights on tractor, and four HANNAY electric cord reels.
The Mendenhall (MS) Fire Department specified a large water tank on this FERRARA engine to maintain a Class A pumper status in the state, says Chief Wayne Walker. The extra water allows for a strong initial fire attack and is needed in their rural areas. The top-mount pump panel provides increased visibility for the operator.
- Intruder chassis with 210-inch wheelbase and six-seat cab with 12-inch raised roof;
- CUMMINS ISC 330-hp diesel engine with ALLISON 3000 EVS automatic transmission;
- HALE Qflo single-stage, 1,250-gpm pump with top-mount panel, two 1¾-inch crosslays below floor of walkway, HANNAY midship one-inch booster reel, two 2½-inch rear discharges (one preconnected), and AKRON Apollo deck gun;
- UPF 1,000-gallon water tank with 2½-inch rear direct fill;
- under hosebed storage for 2,000-gallon FOL-DA-TANK;
- spare SCBA cylinder storage in rear compartment; and
- light and power with HONDA five-kw, gasoline driven generator, two FEDERAL Nightfighter spot/floodlights, and two rear WHELEN scene lights.
The Hyannis (MA) Fire Department acquired this METALCRAFT MARINE fireboat through the Department of Homeland Security’s FEMA: Port Security Grant Program. Captain Bill Rex says it provides waterborne capabilities including CBRNE response and recovery operations, firefighting, search and rescue, medical response, and dive team operations.
- Firestorm 30 Model with 34-foot overall length; 10-foot six-inch beam, and 20-inch draft;
- two CUMMINS QSB 380-hp diesel engines with Z F marine transmissions and twin HAMILTON 274 jets;
- DARLEY PSM single-stage, 1,750-gpm pump with 1½- to 2½-inch aft standpipe, five-inch discharge, ELKHART Marine Scorpion 1,250-gpm bow monitor, ELKHART Marine Scorpion 2,000-gpm roof monitor, and ELKHART Copperhead aft monitor;
- HYPRO Foam Pro 2002 system with 35-gallon tank of one-percent foam;
- push knee at bow and swim platform aft;
- two FURUNO NAVNET 3D 12-inch multifunction display with GPS, radar, electronic compass, and AIS;
- One HUMMINGBIRD 997c GPS chart plotter and side imaging;
- two I-COM M604 marine VHS radios with PIRATECOM wireless intercom/radio headsets;
- FLIR navigator II thermal imaging system as well as three LOREX cameras (forward, aft, and in engine room), both displayed on Furuno display; and
- ONAN 6.5-kw diesel generator.