Assistant Chief of Hartford, Conn., Killed

Assistant Chief of Hartford, Conn., Killed

Assistant Chief Daniel J. Dahill of the Hartford, Conn., fire department, next in command under Chief John C. Moran, was killed from inhaling smoke and gasses while fighting a fire at 34 Forest street, that city, on the morning of September 7. A domestic employed in the house, who was asleep at the time the fire occured, was found unconscious by firemen and died on the way to a hospital. Assistant Chief Dahill, twice overcome by clouds of smoke, was carried to a lawn by his brother firemen and passed away enroute to St. Francis’ hospital. Chief Dahill came to the fire when he learned that it was a very serious blaze. Following Captain John E. Carey into the building, Assistant Chief Dahill was driven back by smoke and compelled to leave. He entered again and once more was forced out by the heat and smoke. He staggered down the stairs and collapsed on the lawn. Firemen tried to revive him but their efforts were fruitless.

Assistant Chief Dahill was born in Hartford in 1859, the son of the late Thomas and Marguerite (Sullivan) Dahill. Besides his wife he leaves a son William and a daughter Edith; one brother. John, is a lieutenant in the city detective bureau at Yonkers, N. Y. Chief Dahill rose from the fire department ranks at Hartford. He entered the department as private in Engine Company No. 4, in April 1892. In September, 1895, he was transferred to Engine No. 8, organized a few months before. He was with that company until No. 11 Company went into commission at Parkville with Dahill as permanent captain of a crew of three other men. He remained in that district until February, 1911, when he was transferred to No. 1 Company. When Chief Moran became first deputy chief in 1912, Captain Dahill was made second deputy. He was promoted to first deputy in 1913. When the two-platoon system went in at Hartford in 1919 he was promoted to assistant chief.

The deceased, who had been a member of the Hartford fire department for 32 years, was due for retirement a short time ago but chose to continue in the work. His associates recall his many acts of bravery and it vyas said that no one liked the thrill of danger more than Chief Dahill did.

The funeral was held from his late home, 61 Sisson avenue, Hartford, on Wednesday, September 10, at 7:30 o’clock a. m. Solemn high mass was held at St. Joseph’s Cathedral. Burial was in Mount St. Benedict’s Cemetery. A large escort of both police and firemen attended the funeral.

No posts to display