Baltimore Adds Six Pumpers
Six new pumpers were placed in service by Baltimore, Md., This makes a total of nine new pieces of apparatus purchased in 1938. Orders for the new pumpers were divided among AmericanLaFrance, Seagrave, and Mack.
All have 750-gallon centrifugal pumps and are designed for residential fire fighting. They carry 200 gallons of water, 1,200 feet of 2 1/2-inch hose, and will travel at about 90 m.p.h.
The six displaced engines will be junked or assigned to the second-line reserve, according to their fitness as determined by the department. Chief Howard Travers explained his reasons for assigning the new apparatus to outlying companies, instead of placing them in heavy duty districts. He stated that the long and frequent runs that these companies have, demand speedy and powerful apparatus. Old apparatus cannot give satisfactory service on runs of this nature.