Battery Chargers Successful in Fire Department
Up to 1931, the Cincinnati Fire Department has maintained a staff of several men for repairing and charging batteries of fire apparatus. As a means of cutting down this maintenance cost, W. C. Beckner, Superintendent of Fire House Maintenance, tried a Tungar battery charger. At present forty such chargers are used in thirty-six fire stations.
The service of the battery men have either been dispensed with or the men have been given other jobs. The 6-ampere Tungar charge is placed on the running board of the fire apparatus and is connected to the battery. The proper specific gravity for the battery electrolyte is attained in a short time.
Because of the heavy demands made upon batteries by fire apparatus, due to the load created by frequent motor starting and large floodlights, such batteries must be charged frequently. The Tungar charger has made it more convenient to make these charges.