Block Burned at Ashland, Wis.

Block Burned at Ashland, Wis.

One of the principal business blocks of Ashland, Wis., was nearly wiped out by fire, one evening recently. Its contents consisting of hardware was wholly destroyed. The Garnish Block, located on West Second street was a brick and stone structure, three stories high and 50 by 140 feet in dimensions, having been erected nineteen years ago. It had wooden partition walls, but no fire extinguishing equipment. The fire, which was Caused by a furnace in the sub-basement, started about 8 P. M., and burned for twelve hours. Smoke was seen issuing from the sidewalk at 8 P. M., but no one paid any particular attention to it and at 11 o’clock smoke was seen coming from the third story windows, hut was mistaken for steam. The alarm was sent in by telephone at 1 A. M. When the fire department in command of Thief J. W. Sharp, arrived the fire had spread through the building, and there was no wav of getting into the basement, the seat of the fire. The flames were confined to the building where they started. The department had seven hydrant streams through 3,200 feet of hose on the fire. The water supply was through eight and twelve inch mains, with 75 pounds pressure. Seven double 6-inch hydrants were used. One length of hose burst. The loss was about $75,000.

No posts to display