Block Fire at Sault Ste. Marie

Block Fire at Sault Ste. Marie

Fire which damaged the Barnes Block at Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., February 10, and which newspapers said caused a loss of more than $100,000, did but $26,500 damage to the building and contents which were valued at about $60,000. The ground floor of the building was occupied as drug and clothing stores and the upper floors as offices and living rooms. The fire started about 1 A. M. in the basement of the drug store from defective steam heating apparatus and was discovered by a tenant, who telephoned to the fire department. When the firemen, under Chief F. N. Wetmore, arrived the fire was burning briskly in the basement and ground floor of the drug store. Six streams were directed against the blaze from the five available 4-inch double hydrants which were from 300 to 500 feet apart. No engines were used, the excellent pressure of 120 pounds having been maintained at the hydrants for the six hours the fire burned. The hose used was 2,360 feet of the wax and gum treated. The burned building was of brick and wood construction and was constructed ten years ago. Chief Wetmore and his men should be complimented for their work in confining the fire to the building in which it originated, as is shown by the accompanying illustration, with such small loss.

BARNES BLOCK AT SAULT STE. MARIE, ONT., BEFORE AND AFTER FIRE, SHOWING REAR, TO WHICH FIREMEN CONFINED THE FIRE.

No posts to display