Boston Has Two 4-Alarm Fires

Boston Has Two 4-Alarm Fires

Boston, Mass., had two 4-alarm fires recently. The first was in the South Boston district on the afternoon of March 14 and destroyed a storehouse filled with baled wool and an adjoining garage on Cypher Street. The second fire on the night of March 15 was in a mercantile building directly across from the North Station and swept the three upper floors of the 6-story brick structure.

The first alarm for the South Boston fire was sounded from Box 715, corner of West First and C Streets, at 5:30 p.m., followed by a second alarm at 5:34, third at 5:35, and fourth at 5:42. The “all out” signal was not given until 10:22 p.m. This blaze had obtained tremendous headway before it was discovered and the storehouse was completely involved before the first apparatus reached the scene. The building was a 4-story frame structure piled high with bales of wool.

Several firemen were injured when a roof collapsed and others were endangered by a falling electric wire. A number of motor trucks stored in a rear yard were destroyed, but others were driven to safety by workmen. Chief Henry

4-Alarm Fire in South Boston

A. Fox directed the firemen. The loss was estimated at $75,000.

The second fire occurred in a building at 101-111 Causeway Street, occupied by a wholesale drug concern and a furniture warehouse with stores on the ground floor.

The first alarm was sounded at 11:17 p.m., the second at 11:18, the third at 11:22, and the fourth at 11:27. The “all out” came at 5:01 a.m.

The fire was fought from ladders, the elevated structure, and from adjoining buildings, as well as with streams taken inside over stairways. Dense smoke hampered the efforts of the firemen and for a time it was necessary to operate a water tower and heavy streams from points of vantage. Parked automobiles and crowds coming from the hockey game at the Boston Arena added to the confusion.

Chief Fox and Deputy Chief Louis C. I. Stickel directed the firemen. District Chief John A. Watson and two members’ of Protective Company No. 1 suffered injuries. The damage was estimated at $125,000.

Crookston, Minn., has purchased apparatus for making runs to the rural area.

Cambridge, Mass., recently placed in service a new 1,100-gallon Seagrave motor pumping engine and a Seagrave motor wagon for use of the Rescue Company. The engine replaces the old pumper of Engine Company No. 5, and it will be under command of Captain Charles F. O’Connor. Captain Edward J. Griffin is in charge of the Rescue Company.

No posts to display