Building Burned at Kellogg

Building Burned at Kellogg

A recent fire in Kellogg, Ida., was confined to the interior of the building in which it started and the loss kept down to $40,000 by the efforts of Chief George G. Westcott and his men of the Kellogg fire department. The firemen were hampered in their work by a shortage of hose, 150 feet of their equipment being at the time in use on a paving job, and so they could not get to the rear of the structure. The building involved was what is known as the McConnell block, situated near the center of the town, was of wood and had partition walls. It faced a street 40 feet wide. A fire had been left by one of the tenants in a stove or grate, and at 12 o’clock at night a clerk in a cigar store on the premises turned in an

alarm. Presumably the untended stove or grate had ignited the building. For three hours Chief Westcott fought the blaze, which was raging throughout the interior of the building when he arrived on the scene. Four hydrant streams were thrown from 4-incli double hydrants stationed about 500 feet apart and having a pressure of 125 pounds. Fifteen hundred feet of cotton rubber-lined hose were used, fed by a gravity system through an eight-inch main. The property was valued at $20,000 and the contents at $25,000 before the fire. The building was practically a total loss and the damage to contents is estimated at $20,000. The building contained a moving picture machine, billiard tables, lodge paraphernalia, etc.

No posts to display