Bureau of Engraving Laundry Damaged
Fire which, it is believed, was caused from spontaneous combustion and started in one of the drying machines, did about $25,000 damage in the rag laundry of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing in Washington, D. C., recently. Of this damage about $15,000 was to the building and the balance on machinery and other contents. Fire Marshal Nicholson said that washing probably had not removed all the oil from the cloths and rags used by plate printers and that the intense heat of the machines was responsible for igniting them. There was much timber and tar paper used in the construction of the building and when the flames reached the upper timbers it was impossible to save the roof.