Careless Workmen Cause Fire in Manchester

Careless Workmen Cause Fire in Manchester

It was thought that the fire in Manchester, N. H., that inflicted serious damage, recently, on a building undergoing reconstruction was caused by the carelessness of workmen. It was discovered and an alarm pulled at 1 :17 a. m., but evidently had been burning for some time, as “it was going in good shape when we arrived,” Chief Chas. H. French reports. There were 170 men engaged and they employed five steamers, two motor pumpers, nine hose wagons, five ladder trucks and one aerial truck, also using two turret pipes and laid 9,800 feet of cotton rubber-lined hose. About ten six-triple hydrants were available, spaced at 200 feet, and having a pressure of about 60 pounds, supplied from street mains varying in size from 6″ to 14”. The water system is gravity. The building was of frame and brick construction in the center of the business section and was over 30 years old. It was occupied by a theatre, lodging house, stores and offices and was valued at $75,000, with contents valued at $93,000. On the property the loss amounted to about $33,478, and on the contents, to $51,622.

No posts to display