Carelessly Handled Furnace Causes Blaze

Carelessly Handled Furnace Causes Blaze

A carelessly handled furnace caused a fire recently in Frederick, Md., with considerable loss, in a three-story brick building occupied by L. E. Mullinix, as a carpet, rug and drapery store. The fire was discovered at 2 a. m. and an alarm telephoned. When the department arrived the store was a mass of flames. Four hydrants were available of 2 and 21/2 inch size, 250 feet apart. Three steamers and motor engine were employed and three thousand feet of hose were laid, cotton rubber-lined. Eight streams were thrown at one time, from 1 inch nozzles. After four hours of hard work the department, which was commanded by Chief George Wallace, succeeded in stopping the fire at the place of origin. 1 he property was valued at $40,000 and the loss was estimated at $25,000. On the stock, worth $20,000, the loss was total.

Previous articleAnother Meter Objection Nailed
Next articleDAYTONA SEWERAGE CONDITIONS

No posts to display