Change in Charleston Water Works
The property of the Charleston Light and Water Company has been purchased by the Commission of Public Works of the City of Charleston. The date of transfer was October 1, 1917, and the commissioners are J. Ross Hanahan, chairman; Leland Moore, Julius Jahnz, elective members. Hon. T. T. Hyde, mayor; W. S. Lanneau, chairman, committee on Water Council, ex-official members. The entire staff of employees of the Charleston Light and Water Company were taken over, with the exception of Dr. J. M. Worthen, superintendent of the pumping station, who resigned to enter the Engineer Reserve Corps as captain. J. E. Gibson has accepted the position as manager and engineer under the commission.