CHICAGO BRIDGE & IRON WORKS.
The plant of the above company was established in Chicago in 1889, and very shortly thereafter it constructed the first water tower at Pilot Point, Tex., followed soon afterwards by several other standpipes for different places. The first hemispherical bottom water tower was built at Fort Dodge, lain 1895. It met with almost immediate favor, and since that time the company has constructed nearly 400 towers of this type, scattered over the entire country and through Canada. Horace E. Horton is proprietor of the plant, and the contracting department is looked after by G. T. Horton, E. G. Ladd and S. H. Hedges. A portrait of the last named is given herewith. The management of the office business is taken care of by H. W. Wilder. Besides manufacturing water towers and standpipes, the company does a general line of structural steel work, consisting of railroad and highway bridges, drawbridges, bascule bridges, locomotive turntables, buildings and special work.
Louis P. Fernald held the municipal bond of the incorporated town of Gilman, Ia., for $2,500 advanced for installing a waterworks system. The officers of the town continued to pay the interest, but, when the bond matured, refused to pay the bond. Suit was brought, and, on coming into court, the judge took the case out of the hands of the jury, and directed a verdict for the plaintiff.