CHICAGO FIRE DEPARTMENT—FIFTH BATTALION.
The Fifth Batlallion is composed of Engine Companies Nos. 5. 6. 7, 18, Hook and Ladder Companies Nos. 2 and 5; Chemical Company No. 1, and one Supply Wagon. The Battalion is under the command of Chief M. W. Conway, with headquarters at the house of Hook and Ladder No. 5. Richard Stringer, Driver of Supply No. 1, joined the Department as a Driver on the “Little Giant” No. 6, in 1859, and remained in tbat position till transferred, in 1871, to Engine Company No. 8, and in 1874, he was given his present position.
ENGINE COMPANY NO. 5
was organized in J anuary, i860, with A. F. Stoddard as Captain. It came successively under the charge of Captains Leo Myers, W. Soden, Schimmels and F. Haver, and then under that of EdSmith. The House, a two-story brick, is situated at No. 197 South Jefferson Street, near Van Buren. The apparatus consists of an Amoskeag Steamer of the first class, Which has been in continuous use for sixteen years and is still in good condition, and a two-wheeled Hose Cartiage manufactured by George Hannis, which has seen ten years’ service. The Company has three horses, two for ihe Engine and one for the Hose Carriage. Daniel Crowley served his sixty days as a candidate on Hook and Ladder No. 2, and in July, 1874, was accepted as a member of the Department. He was transferred to Hook and Ladder No. 7, as Captain, August 15, 1876, being then a Lieutenant on Hook and Ladder No. 2. After having served six .months, he was made Captain of Hook and Ladder No. 2 in February, 1877, and was transferred to this Company last July. Captain Crowley’s record both as a soldier and Fireman is a highly creditable one, having risen from a private to First Lieutenant in the Twenty-third Illinois during the war, and narrowly escaping death at the Cameron, Amberg & Co.’s fire some time ago, when he fell from the second story to the basement through an elevator, and was buried under the debris, but saved by a member of the Patrol. In the Volunteer Department be was a member of Phoenix No. 8. Lieutenant John J. Hennessy was a member of Hook and Ladder No. 1, from July 6, 1874, until transferred to Hook and Ladder No. 6, in September, 1866. He was promoU d to Lieutenant and transferred as such to Hook and Ladder No. 7, July 14, 1877, and from there was assigned to Hook and Ladder No. 6, as Lieutenant, October r8, 1877. He arose to the position of Fiist Lieutenant during the war. Last Spring be was transferred to this Company. Stephen Scanlon, Pipeman, joined Ihe Department in 1874, on Engine Company No. 8, and was transferred to Chemical No. 2, and later to Engine No. 28, and to this Company August 1, 1875. Patrick Dignan, Pipeman, became a member of the Depaitment in 187c, on Eogine No. 3, and was transferred as Lieutenant of No. II, and from there to Engine No. 12. Subsequently he left the Department. In 1874 he returned to Engine No. 6, and lattr to Engines Nos. 25. 23, and to No 6, April 8, 1879, and last Spring to this Company. John Hall, Pipeman, has been in the Department since Septemberao, 1878. Francis Sowersby, Engineer, entered the Department as an Assistant Engineer of Engine No. 5, January 28, i860. He has served on a great many Companies throughout the Department, among them Engine No. 7. He was transferred here January 24, 1880. Patrick Haggerty, Assistant Engineer, joined the Department as an Assistant Engineer on Engine 17, August 9, 1876. He came to this Company in the same capacity on January 18, r877. He was a valiant soldier during the war, serving from beginning to end. Peter F. Quinn, Driver of the Steamer has only served on this Company since July 3, 1879, being the only Company he has been on. Patrick Murphy, Driver of Hose Cart, was accepted January 20, 1879, on Engine No. I, and was transferred from there to Hook and Ladder No. 7. Hereported for duty on this Company August 18, 1879.
ENGINE COMPANY NO. 6
is located at No. 143 Maxwell street, and was formerly known as the Little Giant. It was organised under the latter name on December 24, 1864, with John Harrington as Foreman. The first apparatus was a Piston Engine with a rotary pump, and in size a first-class. John Harrington was succeed; d by Captain Dick Brown, and he by W. H. Musham, James Enright, Charles A. Anderson, John Campion, Richard Fitzgerald, A. J . Calder, Thomas J. Canty and James O’Brien. The present Steamer is an Amoskeag first class, rebuilt at the Department repair shop in 1877. The Hose Cart is a two-wheeled one built by the repair shop in 1879, The house occupied by the Company at the present time was built in October, 1879. This is the only Company in which the Steamer is drawn by four horses. Captain James O’Brien strved during the war in the 2d Illinois, and left a creditable record. He was first made a regular member of Engine Company No. n, in March, 1870, as Pipeman, and was promoted to Lieutenant. He was out of the service for one year and then returned to Engine No. 17, as Pipeman. He was transferred shortly afterward to No. 13, and made Lieutenant a second time. He returned in 1874 to [No. 17, this time as Lieutenant of the Company. He resigned again in 1873, but returned in the same year as Pipeman of Engine No. 6, and then in 1875 was promoted for the third time and transferred to No. 18, from which Company he was transferred to Engine No. 10, and made Captain December 26, 1876, and transferred to this Company January 19, 1878. Lieutenant Phelim J. Devitt, was a sailor previous to his becoming a Fireman in this Department, in April, 1873, when he was assignted to duty on No. 18, as Pipeman. He was promoted to Lieutenant and transferred to Engine No. 1, in August, 1875, and served on the following Companies in that capacity—Nos. 5, 7. and 18, and came to this Company October a, 1879. Michael Cunningham, Pipeman, became a Pipeman on Engine Company No. 6, June 18, 1872. He was transferred to Engine No. 7, 1873, and back to this Company December 17, 1877. He was severely injured while responding to an alarm of fire while on the Engine, having his right arm broken and being laid up for six months. At the present time he is laid up with severe injuries. Lieutenant E. S. Sweeney has been transferred to fill his position. Lieutenant E. S. Sweeney commenced in the Department as a Diiver of Engine No. 13, in 1874, and has by his perseverance and pluck risen to his present position. He was transferred to Engines Nos. 10, 24, and 18, and lately to this Company. J. H. Healy, Pipeman, has been a substitute in the Department for over two years, and has been in nearly every Company in the Department. He was appointed a regular member of the Department in January, 1880, on the Company where he is now located. Albert Syder, Engineer, was assigned as an Assistant Engineer on Engine 14. June promoted to Engineer on the Exposition Company. When this was abandoned he was assigned to Engine No. 33, and later to No, 15, and to this Company January 19, 1878. He-was the only German in the Mulligan Zouaves. Charles H. Watres, Assistant Engineer, was appointed as such on this Company October 11, 1879, and has been here since. He was a marine Engineer previous to his connection with the Department. W. C. Vovce, Driver of Hose Crt, was appointed a regular member of Engine No. 17, June 2, 1879, and was transferred to this Company October 3, of last year. Hiram Ashmam has been lately appointed Engine Driver. William Dunn, Pipeman, has served on Engine No. 18, having been appointed December 2, 1879. fn the war he distinguished himself in the 1st South Carolina regiment, and helped to explode the first shell over Fort Sumpter. Lately he was appointed to this Company.
ENGINE COMPANY No. 7
is located at No. 31 Blue Island avenue. The House was occupied by the America Hose No. 6 till this company was organized, April 27, 1861, Captain John Dorsey biing put in charge. He was succeeded by M. W. Conway, and he by Joseph Donohue, now Captain of No. 18. Captain James Lefevour was appointed Captain of the Company September 20, 1878. When the Company was organized they had an Amoskeag, which was replaced by a Silsby. Last month this Company received their new Ahrens’ Engine. Captain I. J. Sheridan became a member of Engine Company No. 2 in September, 1873, as a Pipeman, and was promoted to Lieutenant of the same in February, 1876. He has never been transferted since he became a member, in May, 1874. He was severely burned at a planing mill fire. Last Spring he was promoted to Captain of this Company. Jeremiah J. Lorden, Pipeman, was a machine hand before entering the Department, He was made a Pipeman on Engine No. 18 in April, 1877, from which he was transferred to Engines Nos. 6 and 7: to the latter in August, 1877, and to No. 19 January 19,1878. His last Company before coming here was Engine No. it, which he left July 1, 1879. Edward Byrne, Pipeman, was appointed a number of the Department in August, 1873, on Engine Company No. 17, which position he resigned, and was out ot the Department for two years, returning in 1877(0 Hook and Ladder No. 5. From there he was transferred first to Engine No, 17, then to the following Engines Nos. s and 10, and back to No. 5, and to No. 7 in October I, 1878. He served during the war in the Seventy-second Illinois Volunteers. Daniel D. Healy, Engineer, joined the Department ns a Pipeman on Engine No. II, and arose to the position of Lieutenant, April 10, 1877, but his health failing him he was changed to an Engineer at his own request, October 4, 1877. He has served as Engineer of Nos. 5, 7 and 10, and was transferred back to No. 7. George Hahn, Assistant Engineer, joined the Depaitment in that capacity on Engine No. 14, February 19, 1872, and was transferred from there to this Company October 6, 1872. Martin Murphy, Driver of Steamer, was accepted as a member of the. Department November 15. 1875. John P. J. Atkins, Driver of Hose Cart, began his career in this Department as a Driver for Assistant Marshal Barry in April, 187s, and after about two years in that position he was transferred to Engine No. 29 March I, 1877, from there to Engine No. 26, and to this Company October 1, 1878. He served six years in the U. S. Navy during the war as a sailor.
ENGINE COMPANY NO. 1.
This Company was organized December ao, 187a, under the well-known Peter Trainor, who was succeeded by Captains A, McMonigle and John Cook. Joseph O’Donohue is the fourth Captain ol the Company since its organization. The Engine-house is located at No. 438 West iath street. The Steamer Is a first-class Piston Engine with a rotary pump, weighing over 8600 pounds when ready for service. The Hose Cart is a 4-wheeled one, built by the Consolidated Extinguisher Company, of Chicago, and, as usual with their apparatus, is a pattern of beauty. Captain Joseph O’Donohoe served in the navy during the war of the Rebellion, and became a Fireman in this Department in 1871, March 36, as a member of Hook and Ladder No. 4, of which he was made Assistant Foreman later, and on leaving that Company was made Captain of Hook and Ladder No. 5. He was afterward transferred to Engines Nos. 7 and 18, September 16, 1878, where he now is. John McDonough, Lieutenant, was a member of Engine No. 10, under Captain George H. Rau, killtd in the collision with the Patrol. He became a member December 18, 1874. From No. 10 he was transferred to Engine No, 11, and to Hook and Ladder No. 4, acting as Driver on the first and Truckman to the latter. He was sent to Engine as as Pipeman May 6. 1878, and has been aciing as Lieutenant since Novtmber 15, 1878. He was injured on Engine No. 10 while at a fire. He was lately transferred to this Company. John Powers, Pipeman, served his candidacy in Hook and Ladder No. 5, and was accepted May 22, 1879, as a member of this Company. Peter J. Vogt is a new member of this Company. Fred Allen, Engineer, was appointed Assistant Engineer in the Department November 13, 1863, on Engine No. a. He was promoted to Engineer April I, 1866, on that Company, and was transferred to this Company, as such, April 25, 1877. He served a long while in the Chicago Volunteer Department on Engine No. 5. George H. Fisher, Assistant Engineer, was appointed as such and assigned to this Company December 20, 1873, and has been here since, Ed. Barrett, Driver of Hose Cart, is the oldest member of this Company, having been sent here when the Company was organized, December 20,1872. He received his first appointment as Driver for Assistant Marshal Musham, July 12, 1873. Thomas F. Brown,. Driver, was appointed Driver of Supply Hose Cart, and three yeare ago last November was transferred to Engine No. 15, and last August to this Company.
HOOK AND -LADDER COMPANY NO. 3
is located at No. 195 South Jefferson Street The Truck is a first-class Carriage with a patent steering apparatus, built at the Fire Department Repair Shop. Tbo Company was organized August so, 1868, under J. J. Grant, Captain. The first Truck was built by Pine & Hartzorn, of New York, and the next, by Geo’ge W. Hannis, and was at that lime considered the finest piece cf apparatus in the western country. The present Truck came into service July 13, 1878. When the Company first came into existence there were five members, which membership has been increased from time to time as necessity demanded, the present number being eight. After the captaincy of J. J. Grant, came that of George Rau, who was killed August 8,1878, by a collision with the Patrol. He was succeeded by M. Shuh. Peter Schnur took charge December 31, 187a; C. M. Duffy, October 1, 1873; Charles A. Anderson, April 17,1876, and Captain Daniel Crowley,|Feb. 1,1877. The present Captain, Ener C. Anderson, was born of Norwegian parents, and is a fine gymnast. He was appointed a member of Engine Company No. 3, in August, 1873, but was there only a short time, He was promoted to Lieutenant, November 8,1876, and about one year later was transferred to Engine No. 5, and in June, 1878, to this Company in the same capacity. In December, 1879, he was promoted to Captain, by a general order of the Fire Marshal, reading as follows : ” In consideration of the heroic action and conduct displayed by Ener C. Anderson, Lieutenant of Engine No. 17, in resucing two females from the Barnes House, during the progress of a fire in said building on the 24th inst., he is hereby promoted to the position of Captain in the service, to take effect January, 1879.” He was transferred to this Companylast August. Robert C. Palmer, Lieutenant, served hissixty days as a candidate from August 4. 1875, on Hook and Ladder No. 8. He remained there until transferred to Hook and Ladder No. 4, November 7, 1876. He passed bis examination, and was promoted to Lieutenant on Hook and Ladder No. 3, December 1, 1877, and was transferred from there to Hook and Ladder November 15, 1878. He then came to this Company as Lieutenant, December I, 1879. While on Hook and Ladder No. J, he helped to save five man at the post-office fire, February, 1879. He served In the United States army for three years and eight months, and left a creditable record. He is an active and enterprising Fireman. John Car, mody, Truckman, has been a member of the Department since January 1, 1876, when he became a member of this Company. He was seriously injured once while at a fire. John Cavanaugh, Truckman, became a member of Engine Company No. 10, January, 187s. He has been on Engine No. 5, and came to Hook and Ladder No. a, April a, 1877. He has recovered from the Injuries received last December in falling from the roof of a building. William Daly was a candidate on Hook and Ladder No. 5, in December, 1877. He was transferred to Hook and Ladder Nos. 1 and a, the latter, on December 31, 1878. He is a good and active Fireman. William H. Dwyer, Truckman, was a soldier in the aad Wisconsin, for three years during the war. He became a candidate on the Department, January 9, 1879, under Hugo Franzen, of Hook and Ladder No. 5. He went from there to Engine No. 17, and came here December a, 1879. He has been injured several times during his short term of service. Mathias Larilette and James Coleman are new members, having been lately appointed.
HOOK AND LADDER NO. 5
is located on West Twelfth street, and was organized July 3,1874, Captain Joseph O’Donohue taking charge in August, Lieutenant Hugo Franzen having charge until the arrival of the Captain, on August 93. 1875. Captain O’Donohue was transferred to No. 7, and Captain Franzen took the Company again. The Truck in use at the present time was built by George W. Hannis, of Chicago, and has been in use over ten years. Captain Hugo Franzen was first assigned as a Truckman to Hook and Ladder No. a, August 20, 1868, and remained there until 1872, when he was transferred to America Hose, which was afterwa ds changed to Engine No, 7. Wh*n the latter displaced the former, he still remained as Lieutenant, having received his promotion as such about four months after his entry into the Department. He took charge of this Company when organized, and again as Captain, when Captain O’Donohue was transferred. He was a member of the Volunteer Department from 185.5 to 1858, first on the Garden City Engine No. 6, and later on Rescue Hook and Ladder No. a. He is an ingenious inventor, and is always on the lookout for something to improve his Company. Among others of his inventions, is a snap which closes by a spring and will not unhitch except by the use of the Hand. He also invented and first used in his Company attachments for dropping the chains and opening the doors commonly used in the Enginehouses. Lieutenant W. A. Cowan was a sailor previous to his becoming a member of this Department in December, 1874, on Hook and Ladder No. 5. He was promoted to his present position on this Company June 15, 1877. He at one time ran with Engine Company No. 1, in Oswego, N. Y. James R. Feeny, Truckman, has been on two Companies since he became a regular member of the Department, from July 3, 1874, on Hook and Ladder No 3, until February 20, 1875, wben he was assigned as a member of this Company. Luke Waters, Truckman, was assigned as Truckman on Hook and Ladder No. 4, June 21, 1874, and was transferred to this Company August 1, 1875, and has been here since. Cornelius E. Smith and Frederick Coleman are new members of this Company. James Colford, Truckman, was made for that position being six feet and two and threequarter inches in height, and weighs 180 pounds. He has been a member of this Company since January 19,1877, being the only Company to this Department he has served on. In the past two years he has been detailed to the repair shop to do the boiler work on the Engines and heater*, and has proved himself a competent and skillful workman. Henry Lincoln, Dnver of Truck, was assigned as Driver of Chemical No. 1, July J9,1873. From there he was made Driver, first for Assistant Marshal Myers and later for Assistant Marshals, Kinney and Conway. January 16, 1876, he was made Fipeman on Engine No. 18, and from there was transferred to Engine No. 7, as Driver and to this Company, September 20,1878 ; he is a careful Driver. In the six years that this Company has done service, the members have shown that they are a necessity to that part of the city doing efficient service wherever required.
CHEMICAL ENGINE NO. I
is located at No. 49 West Washington street. This apparatus was built by the Babcock Manufacturing Company, and is a double-tank Engine, weighing 6000 pounds. Carbonic acid gas is both the working and extinguishing agent. The building is a brick structure, neatly furnished. The parlor, in the front part of the building up stairs, is carpeted, as is also a room off the same, occupied by the Captain, the men sleeping in the room back of the parlor. The Company was organized as a Chemical Company in March, 1871, the present building being previously occupied by Tempest Hose No. 1, this being the first Chemical Company running with any Department in the United States. Assistant Leo Myers was the first officer in charge of the Company. He was succeeded by Peter Trainor, now on Hook and Ladder No. 8. Captain Norman Holt was first connected with the Department May 4, 1866, being at that time appointed Driver of Supply Wagon. On May 26, 1867, he was made Driver of Engine No. 3. He was transferred from there to Hook and Ladder No. 3, January 7, 1871, and promoted to officer in charge of this Company ii November, 1873. He was formerly ” torch boy” on the Engine Oregon in Milwaukee. Michael Shay, Pipeman, joined the Department in September, 1874, as a member of ” Long John ” Engine Company No. 1. He was transferred from there to No. 17, and from there to this Company on November, 1876. Patrick J. Jennings is a new member. Casper Smith, Driver, became Driver of this Company in November, 1878, having previously been on Engine No. 10. His connection wiih the Department dates from August, 1874.