CHICAGO FIRE DEPARTMENT—THIRD BATTALION.
HOOK AND LADDER NO. 3
is located in a double house on Chicago avenue, Engine Company No. 14 being located next door ighbor. The Company was organized January 26, 1871, J. H. Green, now Chief of the Battalion, being the first Captain; after him came Norman Holt, and John Nichol, the latter being now in command. The House was destroyed by fire October 9, 1871, and until it was rebuilt, July 3, 1873, the Company had its quarters in a shed. Captain John Nichol was a sailor in the United States Navy during the war ; served his candidacy under Captain Harmon, of Hook and Ladder Company Nu. 6, and became a member of Hook and Ladder No. 7, on July 8, 1874, and shortly afterward was promoted to Lieutenant of the same Company. He was then transferred to Hook and Ladder No. 2, but in a short time went back to Hook and Ladder No. 1. He was promoted and transferred as Captain to Hook and Ladd r No. 3, November 15, 1878. Lieutenant P. O’Malley, was assigned as a Truckman on Hook and Ladder No. 1, April 1,1876; he remained there until June 5, 1877, and was transferred to Engine No. 5, and later to No 14. He received his promotion as Lieutenant, and was transferred to Engine No. 3, February 14, 1878. G ;dfield Landolf, Pipeman, commenced as a Watchman on Engine No. 3, March 1, 1876, and was transferred to Hook and Ladder No. 3. Engine No. xo, and back to Engine No. 3, as Pipeman, January ax, 1878. Aaron Jansen, Truckman, was first a member of the San Francisco Volunteer Fire Department. He is a Swede by birth, and previous to his becoming a Fireman was a sailor, serving five years in ihe United States Navy in the Atlantic Squadron. His first Company in Chicago was Engine No. 14, under Captain D. J. Swenie, now Fire Marshal, and located on Dearborn street. He became Assistant Foreman before leaving, but was transferred here as a Truckman by hi* own request, October 1, 1873, and has remained up to the present time. Christian W. Dahnke, Truckman, has remained on this company since the time of his appointment, July 3. 1874. He has a clean record since his arrival, having never served a term before the Board. John Tagney, Truckman, was a Fireman In the Government dockyard in London, Eng., before coming here. He joined the Chicago Department in April, 1874, as a Truckman on Hook and Ladder No. 7 ; he was transferred to Engine No. 10, in December, 1876. After remaining there six months he returned to Hook and Ladder No. x, and was tran ferred to this Company September 18, 1877. Thomas Conway, Truckman, being a skillful mechanic, is detail d a great deal of the time to the repair shop. He served first on Hook and Ladder No. 5; in 1875, from there he was transferred to this Company, January xo, 1878. Thomas Webber, Truckman, was formerly a sailor. He has been in the Department since May, 1877, as Driver of Engine No. 17, and w as lately transferred to this Company. J. F. Kelly, Driver of Truck, was first Driver on Engine No. 17, under Captain Haver, from April 28, 1875, he left the Department for about a year, and was reappointed on Hook and Ladder No. 3, December X3, 1877. He has been a careful Driver and has had no accidents.
CHEMICAL ENGINE COMPANY NO. 2
was organized in July, x877, during the administration of Marshal Benner as Chief, Captain Frederick I. Ries being the first Captain of the Company, who has, through devotion to duty, remained in the position up to the present time. The building occupied by the Company is located at No. 86 West Erie street, and is a neat two-story brick structure, which shows the care and attention bestowed upon it by the Company, being as neat as wax inside. It is provided with lockers, bathroom and all the modern appliances for convenience and comfort; the sliding poles form another feature of the house. Captain Ries was born in Germany, and came to Chicago at the age of two years and a half, consequently he has imbibed that spirit of push and enterprise characterizing Chicagoans. He joined the Fire Department in 1868 as a private, his first service being on Hook and Ladder No. 2 and on Engine No. 13. During the time that ** Shay” was Captain he resigned in order to more effectually double up, but his love for the service led him to make a second application, whereupon he was re-appointed to Engine No. 11, shortly afterward serving on Hook and Ladder No. 3 and on Engine No. 7, until this Company was organized in 1877, when he was promoted to Captain. George B. Miller joined the Department as a member of this Company September 16, 1878, having acted as a Substi u’e for over a year. He was born in Chicago and is a thorough Fireman. Alfred W. Meier, Driver, joined this Company on September 16, 1873. He thoroughly understand* his business, having had a good many years’ experience as a horseman. He is a German by birth. Frederick Sherman is the Watchman of this house. He is so thoroughly interested in the life of a Fireman that he donates his services to the Company. He is a cousin of Assistant Marshal Green, and probably has something of the spirit of that gentleman. The apparatus is a double tank Bibcock Chemical. John V. Shay is a late member of the Company, and promises to be a good one.
THE THREE ORPHANS—CHEMICAL ENGINE NO. 3
is located at No. 150 Southport avenue. This company was organized first as a Chemical Company, but in June, 1879, it was changed to run with a Hose Carriage. The House is a two-story frame. The Cart is a on -horse one, built by Geo. W. Hat.nis, of Chicago. The first Captain of the Company was Mathias Shuh, who was succeeded by John Fowler, July 3, 1873, who was promoted from a private of Chemical No. 1. He has been in the Department for 20 years, and was at one time a member of the Tempest Hose Company. James J. Grant, high private, joined the Department in May, 1861, as a member of Hook and Ladder Company No. 1. He was promoted to Cap ain of that Company in the spring of 1864, remaining in that position until August, 1868, when organized Hook and Ladder Company No. 2, where he remained until 1871. In September, 1871, he organized Hose Company No. 5, that Company being afterward changed to Engine Company No. 24, Mr. Grant s’ill remaining Captain. For a short time he was absent from the Department—un:il August JI, 1875, when he was appointed private on Hook and Ladder No. 7, where he remained until appointed to his present Company, in October, 1876. George W. Helmer became a member of Chicago Fire Department in September, 1874, as Pipeman on Engine No. 17. He has at various times been a member of Nos. 5 and 7 until sta ioned here. Everything about this House is in good order. Lieutenant Nicholas Meinard joined the Department on June 15, 1870, as a member of Hook and Ladder No. 3. At the expiration of service here he was transferred to Engine Company No. 14, filling the position of Pipeman so acceptably that in February, 1874, he was made a Lieutenant, and has recently been transferred to this Company. This closes the Third Battalion.